This post is a hodge podge of video clips, photos and articles regarding tourist attractions, things to do and places to visit in and around Tulsa. Look for regular updates.
Gathering Place at River Parks in midtown Tulsa
- Gathering Place was voted USA Today’s Best New Attraction of 2019
- Gathering Place is funded by a combination of more than 80 corporate and philanthropic organizations.
- Construction began in September 2014 and Phase I (66.5 acres) opened in September 2018.
- Renowned landscape architect firm Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates designed the unique Park with input from the community.
- When Phase II and III are completed, the footprint of Gathering Place will be 100 acres.
- Gathering Place on Wikipedia
The buildings and playgrounds are currently closed due to the COVID-10 pandemic. However, the interior gardens, walking trails and perimeter bike paths can be explored.
This short video gives you an idea of the overall plan and vision for Gathering Place. It started out as the large flat lawn in front of the Blair Mansion along the river which we all loved and so we all breathed a sigh of relief when our beautiful landmark was replaced with something even better.
Listen to this oral history of the Gathering Place, wherein John Erling interviewed of Jeff Stava, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer of the project, describe the planning, preparation, and opening of the park, so they could understand the reason for such an enormous commitment by the George Kaiser Family Foundation.
Other Attractions in the Tulsa Area
Copyright © 2021 Deborah M. Durkee. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED — Tourist Attractions, Things to Do and Places to Visit in and Around Tulsa, OK